Ending World Poverty

Trade increases while the global poor remain poor.

Ending World Poverty

Postby peace72 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I came across this article on how to end world poverty without turning everyone into beggars in the process. It's about a Professor who started a Bank that has helped millions of people pull themselves out of poverty in Asia. Its very inspirational and shows what can be achieved with hard work and tenacity. Its url is http://www.oneworldonepeople.org/articl ... dition.htm

Hope it inspires you like it has me.
John :fadein:
peace72
Regular

Postby realist on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:48 pm

Global Poverty will never end as a result of those who are not impoverished. Nor should any well to do person feel it is HIS responsibilty to help those less fortunate than himself.

let's first start by asking why poverty EXISTS, what causes it and what purpose does it serve in the world.

Poverty is a result of an individual either refusing or being unable to do what is nessecary to succeed in today's world. Allow me to clarify that, If you are a citizen of a poor 3rd world country, and cannot find work yes, you will starve. But there IS a solution to your predicament, if there is no work where you are, go somewhere else, I guarantee there is work SOMEWHERE for you to do. And if you don't want to leave your homeland, fine, just accept the consequences of staying there.

Poverty exists in nature everywhere, if an animal does not store enough food for the winter, it starves. If a seed falls on soil where there is no water, the plant dies. It's simply natural selection, adapt or die. This process weeds out the weak of the species, those who can change and work live happily and provide for their offspring, so that their genes may be carried on.

ideally, yes, we should all help the poor and starving, and try to help everyone succeed.

But in reality, if we all put others before ourselves, no one will succeed and the species will fail.
realist
Regular

Natural Selection

Postby gsistare on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:51 pm

I don't believe any of the current situation of global poverty can be linked to natural selection. Conditions in many nations do not allow an individual the ability to move to another place where they might find work. Natural poverty is a completely different situation altogether. In terms of humans and the international community, poverty exists as a result of many things, one of which (I feel is the most common) is the monopolization of resources by wealthy nations. To put yourself before all others would, yes, better your situation, but I believe it is somewhat of a civic duty to ensure better living conditions for all. Natural selection occurs in society as a result of unnatural things though. Poverty obviously will "kill off" the "weaker" people, but that is a result of something unnatural. You could say asthma selects people who are weaker, but impoverished people who live in urban areas often get asthma more often, therefore not a result of natural selection but a result of a more unnatural force. The fact is, ultimately people are all equally healthy and able if they lived in the correct social environments. But things like resource monopolies, poor infrastructure, inadequate health care, which are all preventable I believe, prevent groups from getting the equal life that is desired.
gsistare

Return to Globalization