Starting Date: 11-04-2006
Starting Time: 9:00am
Ending Date: 11-05-2006
Stevenson Hall, University Of Illinois-Chicago
750 S. Halsted
Chicago, Illinois 60605
***2006 Midwest Socialist Conference
***Fight the Right!
***Build the Socialist Alternative!
***Chicago, Illinois * November 4-5
***University of Illinois-Chicago
***Registration: Stevenson Hall
***MILLIONS HAVE protested for immigrant rights and against the ongoing U.S. war in the Middle East. But the Democrats—the "opposition" in Washington—seem unable to provide any opposition to the policies of Bush and the Republicans. There is a burning need to build a Left alternative. The 2006 Midwest Socialist Conference aims to be a place to discuss what we can do to fight the right, rebuild the Left, and win a new world.
***WHAT YOU WILL FIND AT THE MIDWEST SOCIALIST CONFERENCE:
* Two days of discussion and debate on today's movements, and the questions facing radicals and the Left.
* Special plenary with Ahmed Shawki, editor of the International Socialist Review* and board member of the National Council of Arab Americans on “Confronting U.S. Empire” and Martín Sanchez, Venezuela’s consul general in Chicago on “The Struggle for Self-Determination in Venezuela.” *organizations cited for identification only.
* More than 25 workshops on: The Fight Against Oppression * Imperialism and War * A People's History * The Revolutionary Tradition * Revolution * Socialist Organization * Struggle and Politics Today
* Haymarket Books fair with dozens of titles on everything from the struggle for immigrant rights and imperialism to the German Revolution.
* Forums with Haymarket Books authors like Paul D'Amato, author of The Meaning of Marxism.
* Parties and more.
SATURDAY, NOV. 4
* Capitalism, Slavery and the Origins of Racism
* Insurgent Mexico: Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
* Labor's Giant Step: Class War in the 1930s
* The Meaning of Marxism
* Where does gay oppression come from?
* The Chicano Power Movement
* The Democrats: The World's Second Most Enthusiastic Capitalist Party
* Torture to Police Brutality: What's Wrong with the "Justice" System
* In Defense of Socialist Planning
* Marxism vs. Anarchism
* Building Strong Branches
* Engels and the Origins of Women's Oppression
* Never Again: Why We Confront the Far Right
* Race, Class and the Rise of the Civil Rights Movement
* Venezuela and the Struggle for 21st Century Socialism
* Lenin on Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism
* No to Racism: Fighting the Rise of Islamophobia
* Profiting off Borders: From NAFTA to "Guest Worker" Programs
* Rosa Luxemburg on Reform or Revolution?
* Zionism: False Messiah
7:30-9 PLENARY: RESISTING EMPIRE
SUNDAY, NOV. 5
* Is Cuba a Model for Socialism?
* Lenin on State and Revolution
* Maoism: Another Road to Revolution?
* When Workers Ran Society: The 1917 Russian Revolution
* The Lost Revolution: Germany 1917-1923
* Mistaken Identity: What's Wrong with Identity Politics?
* Trotsky's Marxism
* Why We Need a Revolutionary Party
The conference will be held at the University of Illinois-Chicago, at 750 S. Halsted in Chicago. All workshops and registration will be in Stevenson Hall. The closest CTA train stop is the UIC-Halsted stop on the Blue Line.
***MORE CONFERENCE INFORMATION:
For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-817-3266. Visit our website at: http://www.midwestsocialistconference.org
Free child-care is available on request (please e-mail email@example.com a week prior to the conference to reserve space). Spanish translation will be provided.
$10 (donation) student/low income
$15 (donation) regular rate
$25 (donation) solidarity rate
The International Socialist Organization (ISO). The ISO publishes Socialist Worker and Obrero Socialista, available online at: http://www.socialistworker.org
Geographical Scope: Regional