Starting Date: 10-20-2007
Ending Date: 10-21-2007
Los Angeles, California 90095
United StatesDaisy and Ben here, the California regional coordinators for United Students Against Sweatshops. We hope that your semester/quarter is going well, and that there is lots of great stuff going on at your campus. We are really excited for this year, and hope to get a lot of inter-campus solidarity going and meet lots of new people all over Cali.
That’s why we want to kick our year off early with the California Conference. The conference will be October 20th - 21st at UCLA in Los Angeles! There are many reasons we have decided to have the conference on this date. But most of all, its early enough so that we can plan some state-wide actions for this Fall. We know that many of you will have conflicts (Ben has a Midterm on October 23rd!) but we would really like to see lots of campus representation so that we can really just get to know each other and begin to foster connections that will propel our activism through the rest of the year.
The conference will include many different workshops and caucuses to do things like:
* Learn more about what is going on in USAS and our three campaigns: Sweat-Free Campus, Ethical Contracting and Campus Community Solidarity.
* Organizing 101 – Time to collectively share experiences and build campus organizing skills with partners.
* UC, CSU, Private School and Community College break-out time – Time to coordinate system-wide pressure points and compare experiences working to promote justice in similar institutions.
* Anti-Oppression workshop and Caucus time – time to discuss the issues of oppression within our own clubs and organization and address them collectively
* Open call for workshops – if you are interested in facilitating a workshop that you think other students would be interested in, please contact Ben or Daisy to apply.
It’s going to be a fun weekend, and a great place to meet like-minded folks. We are asking for a non-required donation of $10-$20 from each person so that we can make this conference a big success. For folks who will have to travel a ways, we are in the process of fundraising so we can provide travel scholarships that can provide at least some of your travel cost. More information on this soon!
Geographical Scope: State